Work with Us
We are Currently Hiring:
Our Mercy Vintage Sales Associate is a team player who loves clothes, particularly sustainable clothes, and thrives in a high volume, fast paced environment. You are the first point of contact for our clients and ensure that everyone feels welcome to our shop. You have a passion and eye for style and can help our clients discover and grow their natural style. Customer service and sales are your number one priority as is maintaining a strong knowledge of inventory, brands and eras.
A great match for this position is a person who optimistically challenges themselves when faced with the unknown, seeks to learn and refine new skills, and enjoys sharing knowledge with others. Sales experience is strongly encouraged, but not a requirement with this position. We are looking for someone with an engaging attitude, a passion for vintage clothes, and an exceptional work ethic. If you have a strong desire to contribute positively to our culture and work as part of our dedicated team, and solid, basic computer skills, we want to meet you.
Mercy Oakland Inc. was opened 13 years ago to help people find their natural style through high quality, recycled clothing. We strive to be the go-to vintage retailer for people around the world who want to express their creativity through dress, and who value quality and the environment. To do this, we employ a team of exceptionally warm, creative, and hardworking people who are committed to impeccable service and teamwork. Please note that this position will be mainly based at our expanded location on Piedmont Avenue, not our primary shop.
People who lack self awareness, are not open to feedback, or are not a team player need not apply.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who has a talent for sales, supporting coworkers and customers, a strong interest in and appreciation for recycled clothing and natural style, and who is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
- Contributes to the overall culture and business growth using our Culture Guide as a tool for self-reflection and an ongoing commitment to self-growth, the growth in others, and the growth of the company
- Develop a working knowledge of contemporary and vintage designers as well as familiarize yourself with dating and identifying, types of fabric, silhouette, closures, labels, etc.
- Enthusiastically sell clothing to our diverse, style loving community
- Provide excellent customer service on the sales floor including greeting clients, starting dressing rooms, and assisting clients with finding size and style matches
- Ringing up clients using our POS system
- Receiving and organizing incoming clothing
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment
- Ability to connect well with customers and co-workers alike
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job and company
- Must pay strong attention to detail and have excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task and manage a variety of projects simultaneously, and ability to work in an interruption-prone environment
- Basic computer skills
- Experience with vintage and designer clothing
- Experience working in a small, independent store
- Experience with POS software/systems
Classification & Compensation
- This is a regular, part-time, exempt position with a possibility for becoming full-time
- The Sales Associate will be expected to work weekends
- Salary to be discussed during interview process
SupervisionGeneral supervision provided by store owner
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs.
- Standing, kneeling
- Climbing stairs
- Walking, moving quickly
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
To apply, please follow these steps:
Email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Sales Associate” in the subject line of your email.
Please, no unsolicited calls or walk-ins; applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be reviewed.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Mercy Vintage. Due to high volume, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Mercy Vintage is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.
21 - 28 HOURS A WEEK